Less than 1/2 inch long, brown with dark brown on top of wings. Females are shorter and broader than males. Adult males fly if disturbed. Both adults and immatures can be distinguished by a broad brown band across the midsections of its body at the base of the wings and abdomen.
Females produce eggs that they carry in an egg case that is attached to their abdomen. After 30 hours of carrying the case, the female will attach it in a hidden area. The cases (oothecae) hold about 13 eggs. Young cockroaches hatch from the case in 37-103 days and will be mature in 8-31 weeks. The young have the same h
- Diet: Any food items and non-food items with glue like envelopes, bookbinding, drapes, etc.
- Activity: Nocturnal
- Preferred Climate: Warm, dry areas
- Defense: Speed and ability to hide in tight spaces
- Cautions: Secrete an odorous fluid, spread disease, can cause damage as a result of their feeding habits
- Home Invasion: Often found indoors hiding in dry areas behind frames, inside pantries, closets, and furniture. Often near the ceiling.
- Thorough sanitation practices.
- Recommend regular pest control service plan.
About 3,500 cockroach species exist in the world. 55 species are found in the United States.
They tend to prefer higher locations than most species of roaches. Often found in high cabinetry in kitchens and bathrooms.