These ants get their name due to the size of the head of the major workers (soldiers), which is larger compared to the size of their body. Workers range in size from 1/16 to 1/8 in length and can vary in color from light brown to dark reddish brown. The pedicel has two nodes.
- Diet: Feed on live and dead insects, seeds and honeydew. Sweets, fats, and proteins inside homes.
- Activity: Will reside with other colonies as one large colony
- Preferred Climate: Dry, warmer climates
- Defense: Multiple nests help with survival success
- Cautions: Piles of sand
- Home Invasion: Will enter homes for food, but is mainly a soil nester residing along cracks in the foundation, under slabs, or in expansion joints. Will also nest in pots that can be transported inside homes.
- Thoroughly check pots before transporting plants inside a home.
- Seal any cracks and crevices in the foundation.
- Ongoing pest control service for prevention.
Some species of big headed ants will make mud tubes that are similar to subterranean termites, which can cause a misidentification of the pest problem.
Does not bite unless the nest is disturbed.
- Nesting in disturbed soils, lawns, flowerbeds
- Under objects
- Bricks, cement slabs